There is a new diet on the radar every few months. This time, making rounds is pegan diet – combination of vegan and paleo diet. 75% of the diet is basically plant-based food, veggies and fruits, nuts and legumes, even some amount of whole grains are allowed to take care of the energy needs. Remaining 25% is animal based proteins like poultry, eggs and fish. Mainly it says that the animals should be grass fed. The fats incorporated should be the healthy fats like omega 3 ones-eg-flax, olive, avocados and avoid omega -6 fats like soyabean, corn (basically veg oils). One also has to avoid dairy, gluten, beans, preservatives, flavourings, sweeteners and processed foods.
How it works
Create a right and healthy balance between the plant and animal food giving the right amount of energy and the right amount of proteins if followed properly and also it takes care of the glucose levels in the body. The good part is that such kind of eating reduces inflammation and diseases in the body and also has a good impact on the health of the heart. Because its restrictive diet with major emphasis on veggies and fruits and strict no to sugar, processed foods and grains hence would definitively be effective in losing weight. The main drawback is restricting dairy also people with higher energy and protein needs will not be satisfied with this diet.
However, nutritionists feel that a balanced diet is the best one to follow. A diet may work for one but not for other due to different body metabolism and BMR. The best way of going on any such diets is under supervision of a qualified dietitian or nutritionist so that one doesn’t experience any deficiencies in the body. Another important part is that once someone follows such diets, one needs guidance on how to maintain the weight loss happened with these diets and also how to make clean eating a lifestyle modification and not a temporary change just to achieve the desired target.
Inputs by nutritionist Ritika Samaddar, Max Healthcare and Neha Arora