Thyroid is an important part of the endocrine system. It secretes thyroid hormone which maintains metabolic activities in our body. When there is an imbalance of thyroid hormone in our body, it causes many health issues.
Thyroid imbalance happens when Ojas—the Ayurvedic essence of immunity and good health, is depleted in the body. As a result, the person experiences chronic fatigue, dullness, tiredness and has weak immunity. Common health problems such as cough and cold also happen more frequently.
Thyroid Disorders: They are of two types:
Hypothyroidism may be caused by problems within the thyroid gland that causes insufficient circulation of the thyroid hormones (T3-Triiodothyronine, T4-Thyroxine). Symptoms show a decrease in metabolism, with the slowing of mental and physical activity. Patients may experience a variety of different symptoms such as sensitivity to cold, dryness of the skin, Constipation, Anorexia, Angina pain, Anemia and disordered menstrual function. Hypothyroidism treatment is effective. It is a combination of herbal medicines, which is prepared according to the individual health aspects of the patient, along with personalized diet and lifestyle recommendations.
Hyperthyroidism is a metabolic disorder, characterized by the excessive production of thyroxine by the thyroid gland. The increased metabolism causes loss of weight and symptoms such as trembling and sweating of hands. Goitre may also be present. Jiva Ayurveda provides, root-cause Hyperthyroidism treatment which is a combination of personalized medicines, diet and lifestyle recommendations.
Ayurvedic home remedies for Thyroid:
· Jalkumbhi and drumstick help in improving the level of iodine in the body.
· Dhaniya (coriander) and jeerak siddha jala help in better recovery from swelling that are sometimes seen in some cases of thyroid problems.
· Avoid eating raw vegetables in raw form, especially Kale, Brussels sprouts, Broccoli and Cauliflower.
· Vitamin D deficiency may trigger thyroid problems. Exposure to early morning sun is a good way to treat the deficiency. Exercising outdoors in the early morning stimulates thyroid glands, boosts immunity and regulates calcium metabolism.
· It is best to avoid all forms of processed sugar in thyroid problems. Also, it is recommended to reduce foods rich in natural sugars.
· Eat food that is rich in Vitamin A such as Green leafy vegetables, fruits like apple and banana.
· Ginger helps in Thyroid, boil some ginger in water and drink it like tea.
Dr. Partap Chauhan, Director of Jiva Ayurveda, is an author, public speaker, TV personality and Ayurvedacharya.